4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : at Dublin. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Queenstown, going on in October 1914 to Sittingbourne but returned to Ireland at the end of 1915, going to Templemore. Moved in April 1916 to Mullingar. Went to Brocklesby in November 1917 and absorbed by 3rd Bn in May 1918.

1 Feb 1915 1st battalion received 100 men from 4th battalion at Sittingbourne

During the Easter Rising 4th Dublins fought the rebels along the railway line from the Broadstone railway station up to the Cabra Bridge.

AINSLIE, Capt James Robert, 4th Battalion s. of William A.; b. Old Deer, 27 Feb. 1889. Med., 1906-07. Trooper, Ceylon Mtd. Rifles, 3 Sept. 1914 ; rifleman, Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps. Commd., Gen. List Inter- preter, attd. Australian Imperial Force, 19 Apr. 1915 ; Lieut., 4th Royal Dublin Fusiliers ; Capt, War Office Timber Supplies Dept. XI. Division. Served Egypt, France, Apr. une 1916; Ireland, June I9i6-June 1917. Final rank, Acting Staff Captain.

BATE Lieutenant Alfred Francis Born at Dún Laoghaire Son of Edward Reginald and Charlotte Frederica Bate (nee Bell), of 2 Eden Park, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin 4th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers attached 2nd Battalion, Leinster Regiment Killed in action 14th March 1915 Age 22 Ferme Buterne Military Cemetery - Nord - France.B.A., Trinity College, Dublin, also law student King's Inns, Dublin, preparing for call to Irish Bar

BEDDOES Lt Col H R. Nov 1914 list showing staff from labour Exchanges and the Insurance Board who had joined up, their unit and rank - it shows an H R Beddoes, head of section, who joins up as the Colonel 4th Bn. He was previously a Captain/Major in the RDF in West Africa in 1900, severely wounded at Yankoma on 30th July 1900 and subsequently mentioned in despatches for commanding a column that defeated the enemy, and was also in charge of a rearguard at Kumassi on 15th July 1900.

CARROLL Captain James F J R, 4th Battalion, Died 24 March 1919 James Carroll was the middle of three boys, sons of Redmond Carroll BL and Mrs Carroll, of 24 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin. He came to Belvedere in 1898 and was always known as ‘Bob’. He was Captain of the school Senior Rugby XV in both the 1904-5 and 1905-6 seasons. He played at out-half. In 1906 his side was beaten 6-0 in the first round of the cup by Belvedere’s neighbours, Mountjoy. Bob Carroll was also captain of the Senior Cricket XI in both 1905 and 1906 (and after leaving school was a member of Pembroke Cricket Club). He participated in 1906 on the Belvedere Athletics team, the swimming team and the Gymnastic team (trained by Sergeant Major Wright and Fr Gill SJ, who was a chaplain in the First World War) which won the Schools Gymnastic Championship Shield. His brothers, Joseph and Vincent, were also on the team. The shield can be seen hanging on the door on the left in this photo of the gymnasium, taken in 1906. The gymnasium was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Kerr Wing. Carroll left Belvedere in 1906. He joined the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC), the police of the time. After his Cadetship, he was posted in the district of Callan, County Kilkenny. On Christmas Eve, 1910, he was promoted to the rank of Second Class Inspector. His interest in sport had not diminished; he won the RIC Officers’ Golf Tournament in 1910. In 1913, he joined the Special Reserve of Officers and was commissioned as 2ndLieutenant of the Special Reserve in the 4thBattalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He spent from April to October, 1913, in training at Gravesend. While in England, he played many cricket matches with the Regimental XI, and was at the top of the batting averages at the end of the season. However, Bob Carroll was (as the Belvederian described) ‘given a year’s leave of absence to take up a job in Siam as Conservator of Forests.’ He left Tilbury Docks on the Thames on 11 December 1913 and arrived at Bangkok on 16 January 1914. He travelled the 400-mile journey to the forest station at Lakhon with three elephants, fifteen pack ponies and a dozen Siamese helpers. The Belvederian of 1915 described what happened when war broke out: Without his knowledge his friends at home got him an extension of that leave [of absence] and cabled the fact to him to his station in the forests of Northern Siam. But he refused to avail of it, believing it to be his paramount duty to rejoin his regiment, which he actually did at Sittingbourne in Kent, early in January 1915. For more than a year he was Signalling Officer of his battalion, and was promoted to the rank of Captain in December 1915. In April 1916, he was in action in Dublin, as the Easter Rising was put down. The following month, he was sent to the front in France. Here he saw constant action until the end of the war. In August 1916, he suffered in an incident which was described in The Belvederian of the following year: … the parapet of the trench in which he was posted was overthrown by a shell, with the result that he was buried under the debris, but was dug out by his men. He was found unconscious, and was pronounced to be suffering from concussion. From this he has endured great pain for many months, but is now doing light duty in Co. Cork. He recovered and returned to France until hostilities ended. He was then sent to Naas in Ireland as Demobilisation Officer, where he became ill. He died there after a short illness on Monday 24 March 1919. Bob Carroll was 31 at the time of his death. He left behind a young wife. He is buried in grave IE 11 at the New Chapel area of Glasnevin Cemetery. His obituary in the 1920 Belvederian says of him, In every phase of his short life he proved himself a good, religious man, one who had God always before him in his mind. An in his last hours God rewarded his fidelity by blessing him with the grace of a happy death, after he had had the happiness of receiving the last Sacraments at the hands of the Rev. Father Hipwell, CC, Naas. To all his family, but especially to his young wife, we offer our sincere sympathy

CUSACK Second Lieutenant Reginald Ernest. 4th Battalion Gazetted November 1914 Born Clontarf, Dublin. Son of Edward Cusack, Engineer. Trinity College, Dublin Died of pneumonia 15th April 1915 at Sittingbourne

GRAY 2nd Lt George R 4th Battalion Killed on 28 April 1916 Easter Rising Age 21 Buried GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY. Son of the late Alexander and Helen Ross Gray, of Newcastle-on-Tyne. A Dental Student. Age 22.

McLOUGHLAN, Lieutenant James 4th Battalion died 25 May 1915 James McLoughlin was born on 12 October 1891 at Claremont, Drumcondra, Dublin. He was the elder son of Patrick and Delia McLoughlin. On James’ birth certificate, the profession of his father is given as ‘Tea taster’. When James went to Belvedere, the family lived at 76 Drumcondra Road, but later moved to ‘Brackloon’, Rathgar, Co Dublin. At school, he was a brilliant scholar. The Belvedere Archive shows that his Easter Report in April 1903 sates that he was a ‘very satisfactory’ student. James was one of the nineteen students who founded the Belvedere College Debating Society on Friday 27 November 1908, with Arthur Cox as auditor. The society has flourished ever since. James was also a member of the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Members of this Sodality attended weekly meetings in which they received instruction in their faith. They were expected to be a good influence on their fellow-students. To be ‘Prefect’ of this Sodality was, at that time, to be the equivalent of ‘School Captain’ today. For example, James Joyce held this position for two years running in the 1890s, although his later career suggests he quickly shook off the mantle of piety. In 1908, James McLoughlin was the Honorary Secretary of the very first Tennis Club at Belvedere. He also played on the senior team. The inaugural match was described in James McLoughlin’s report for the 1908 Belvederian: ‘The first match was against St Andrew’s, on their ground at Donnybrook [where RTE is today]. We were defeated by two events to love. We were never at home on the asphalt court, none of the team having played on one before.’ That year, James also represented the school on the Senior Cricket XI. The Belvederian of 1908 reports on ‘the’ cricket event of the year: ‘Our match with Phoenix resulted in a victory for Belvedere! This was mainly due to Louis O’Mahony’s splendid play for 37. Jimmie McLoughlin kept up the wickets very well for him, and the pair made quite a sensational finish.’ When he left Belvedere he went to study medicine at the Royal University of Ireland, which he attended from 1910 until 1913. He then decided to make his career in the army. He joined the 4th Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, attached to the Royal Irish Regiment. In 1914 his health was not good, so he took leave for a year and travelled to Chile, where, it was hoped, the climate would help him recover. He obtained a ‘lucrative’ job there, but left it after a few months when he was recalled to rejoin his regiment in August 1914. In October 1914, he was stationed in France and attached to the 2ndBattalion of the Royal Irish Regiment. He was promoted to full Lieutenant in February 1915. His obituary states that ‘he took part in several big engagements and was continually at work in the trenches’. Some weeks before he died, he wrote a letter home in which he seemed to have a presentiment that he would be killed by the poisonous gas which the Germans were using at the time. He knew the dangers of gas and feared that one day he would be overcome by it. His last letter told that the gas had been worked on them and that only by crawling for a long distance had he escaped its fatal effects. His mother (now a widow), too, was aware of the dangers, especially when she saw the names of his comrades on the casualty list. In a short time, his day came also. On the evening of May 27th, she received a telegram from the War Office : ‘Deeply regret to inform you that Lieut J P McLoughlin, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, attached Royal Irish Regiment died of gas poisoning May 25th. Lord Kitchener conveys his sympathy.’ James had suffered from gas poisoning, was then wounded, and died from the effects. He was 23 years old. He had been killed in action at Mouse Trap Farm, in the region of Hill 60. This was the same action in which Ramsay Hall (2nd Battalion RDF) died

SHEEHY Eugene : “Just to conclude on the Easter Rising and the Irish regiments. Eugene Sheehy, was an officer in the 4th Dublins. His sister Mary Sheehy married Tom Kettle who was killed in the war in September 1916 fighting with the Dublins at Guillemont. Sheehy’s other sister, Hannah Sheehy, married Francis Skeffington.  Eugene wrote about the Easter Rising [in 1951]. ‘The Rising in Easter Week was a source of heartbreak to me and to the many tens of thousands of Irish nationalists who joined the British Army. We had done so at the request of our leaders who were the elected representatives of the people, and the vast majority of the nation applauded our action. The Rising was not even approved by the leaders of Sinn Fein.’

SKEET Major F. J. A..4th Battalion, Gazetted Dated 19th September, 1914.

7177 Corporal John BELL Husband of the late Ellen Bell and father of Private Jack Bell (41614 Cameronians), of 26, Corporation Street, later 20, Quinn's Cottages, Dunne St., Dublin. Resided Dublin. 2nd Battalion Formerly 7177, 4th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Died of wounds 5th September 1918 in Dublin age 48 buried Glasnevin Cemetery - Co. Dublin - Ireland. Special Reservist since 1908. Wounded 21st March 1915. Discharged as medically unfit 30th July 1915

STONEX, Lieutenant FRANCIS HUGH TILNEY 4th Battalion,Son of Alice Mary Rowe Stonex, of "Downfield," Vicarage Lane, Bowdon, Cheshire, and the late Francis Tilney Stonex. Educated at Rossall School, and All Souls College, Oxford. Also served in Ireland. died 25 on 01/02/1918

TYNDALL Lieutenant Joseph Charles 4th Battalion, Killed in action 2nd March 1915 Age 22. Son of Nellie Tyndall, of 2, Eaton Square, Monkstown, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, and Joseph Patrick Tyndall

TIPPET Capt Herbert Charles Coningsby. Son of Major Tippet, in 7th battalion, who was killed at Gallipoli, joined his father’s regiment; serving with 4th Battalion he survived the war, winning the Military Cross. His medal card showed he entered France 14 May 1916. And also he served on RDF Staff. He claimed his medals from an address in the USA after the war, "Meadow Brook Club, Long Island". He married the divorced Edith Shand (the later grandmother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall)


13996 Sergeant John BYRNE. 4th Battalion Born Dublin. Enlisted Dublin. Husband of Bridget Bradley, of 2, Courtney Place, Ballybough Rd., Dublin. Died 7th June 1915 at Home. Age 34 Grangegorman Military Cemetery

40552 Private T DISHELL 4th Battalion Son of Thomas and Catherine Dishell, of Ballyconneely, Co. Galway.Died age 30 on 06/05/1918 Probably a POW from where buried


The 3rd (Reserve), 4th (Extra Reserve) and 5th (Extra Reserve) Battalions were mobilised on 4 Aug 1914 at Birr, Maryborough and Drogheda respectively. These battalions served variously in Ireland, England and Scotland until May 1918 when they were amalgamated into the 3rd Battalion, that ended the war in Portsmouth Garrison.